Policy Subject: Visitation Policy, Covid 19 Visitation Policy
Section: Covid Policies, Infection Control, Visitation
Effective Date: April 2022
Date Revised: May 2022
To comply with Florida Statute “No Patient Left Alone Act” the following outlines Grand Oaks of Palm City, Jensen Beach, and Okeechobee Visitation Policy/Procedures. The Visitation Policy is designed to promote resident, visitor, and employee safety and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. The communities do not restrict visitation. As per Florida Statue 408.823, the Administrator is responsible for ensuring that staff adhere to the policies and procedures.
- Individuals who enter the building will be screened for symptoms prior to entry. This includes employees, vendors, third party providers and visitors.
- Visitors are not compelled to submit proof of any vaccination or immunization and consensual physical contact between a resident and visitor is allowed.
- Visitation will be permitted after meeting screening requirements.
- Visitors are encouraged to wear a face mask and may be obtained upon request.
- There is no time limit for visitation.
- There is no limit on the number of visitors allowed per visit.
- Any expectations set forth in this policy will not exceed those which apply to the employees of our communities.
- Emergency Personnel are permitted entry without being screened prior to entry.
Employees, Essential Caregivers, New Residents, Visitors, Volunteers and Vendors are permitted entry only after passing screening requirements:
- Ensure hand sanitizer is available to them near the entry screening area.
- Utilize the fever screening thermometer upon arrival.
- If the individual is a first-time Visitor, offer them the Infection Control Training and Education Policies and Procedures and Infection Control Training Materials, hard copies are available at the front desk or from Nurse Manager/Supervisor.
- If the individual’s loved one is in Transition, they are required to wear a KN95 mask, gown and face shield. An N95 mask may be offered upon request.
- Provide the individual with any personal protective equipment (PPE) needed prior to permitting entry.
- If the loved one is in Monitoring, the individual is required to wear a KN95 mask. If they do not have one, it will be provided prior to permitting entry.
- All Visitors must immediately inform the communities if they develop COVID-19 symptoms or test positive for COVID-19 within ten (10) days of their visit.
In the event a Visitor violates the community’s policies and procedures as outlined, the community reserves the right to suspend in-person visitation from that specific Visitor.
A resident or their responsible party may designate anyone they choose as an Essential Caregiver. There are no limits on the number of identified Essential Caregivers per resident.
In the event a Local, State or Federal agency might require restriction. The Essential Caregiver will be allowed in all the following circumstances unless the resident objects:
- End-of-life situations.
- A resident who was living with family before moving into the community is struggling with the change in environment and lack of in-person family support.
- The resident is making one or more major medical decisions.
- A resident is experiencing emotional distress.
- A resident is grieving the loss of a friend or family member who recently died.
- A resident needs cueing or encouragement to eat or drink which was previously provided by a family member or caregiver.
- A resident who used to talk and interact with others is seldomly speaking.
During these times, visits must be conducted in the resident’s room/apartment.
Visitors are an important part of our residents’ lives, enriching their daily routines, and helping them enjoy our home-like atmosphere. If for any reason you have questions about our Community Access & Visitor Program, please do not hesitate to contact our Administrator.
As a reminder:
- There is no set visiting hours; however Outside doors are locked in the evening. To gain entry after hours, visitors should ring the doorbell located at the main entrance or call the main phone number.
- There is no limit to the length of a visit.
- There are no restrictions on the number of people allowed per visit.
We also ask Visitors to respect the following rules:
- Please do not enter other residents’ apartments unless a resident specifically invites you in.
- Please do not linger throughout the community or at entrances or exits without the resident you are visiting.
You can download a copy of this policy here: